Mexican Chocolate Summer Squash Bread
· 2 cups all purpose flour
· 2 teaspoons baking soda
· 1 teaspoons cinnamon
· 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
· 1 teaspoon salt
· ½ cup cocoa powder
· 3 eggs
· 1 ½ cups sugar
· ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
· ½ cup vegetable oil
· 1/2 cup sour cream
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 2 cups summer squash, grated
· 6oz smashed chocolate chunks*
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.**
2. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and cocoa powder.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, apple sauce, oil, vanilla and sour cream; beat well. 4. Add dry ingredients, stir to combine.
5. Fold in squash and chocolate, fold to combine.
6. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean.
*I used 72% dark chocolate I smash it up into chunks with my meat mallot. I prefer having different size chunks so its always a surprise how much you’re going to get.
**I used one loaf pan and made a rather large loaf, plus 6 muffins.