2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1/2 large yellow onion (chopped)
3 tbsp butter
1 quart of chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup of Arborio rice
1/4 cup dry white wine (use lemon juice as an alternative)
1/2 lb of asparagus (peeled and woody ends removed, then lengths sliced into 1/2 inch pieces)
Grated parmesan cheese (for serving)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat up chicken or vegetable stock in a separate pot.
2. While the stock is heating up, sauté onion in butter in a second pot until translucent but not browned (about 3-5 minutes)
3. Add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes to release aroma. Season with a few pinches of salt.
4. Add arborio rice to the butter, onion & garlic mixture and toss. Toast for about 2 minutes.
5. Add wine (or lemon juice) and cook for another 2 minutes.
6. Begin adding warmed stock to the rice mixture with a ladle, about 1/2 cup at a time. Stir constantly and allow the rice to absorb the liquid almost entirely before adding more. (If more stock is needed and not on hand, add water to your pot.)
7. Continue adding stock little by little until the rice is cooked through but still slightly al dente. When adding the last ladle of stock, stir in chopped asparagus and tips (they will cook quickly in the last few minutes).
8. Season as needed and serve with Parmesan cheese.