Cannellini Bean Soup
Originally cultivated in Argentina and beloved in Italy, Cannellini beans are also known as white kidney beans. With a mild, nutty flavor and creamy texture, these ivory legumes are versatile – enjoy in soups, salads and pasta dishes.
- ½ lb. dried Cannellini beans
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups water (or chicken stock for more flavor)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sort beans and soak overnight in bowl using 3 times as much water as beans. The next morning rinse beans thoroughly with cold water.
- In soup pot, sauté onion, carrots and celery in 2 tbsp. olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Add drained beans, fresh water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 1 – 1½ hour, until soup is thick and creamy and beans are tender.
- Season soup with salt and pepper; remove from heat and stir in remaining olive oil.