This really is the perfect summer afternoon finger food. It’s light, crispy, citrusy, sweet, and salty. Serve it as an appetizer and impress your friends and family with this new way to prepare green beans. You could also try it with other vegetables or even with shrimp! Either way, they’ll be asking for the recipe.
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely chopped dill
- 3 tbsp dairy free coconut yogurt
- 1 pound of green beans
- 2-3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- Wash and trim the ends of the green beans.
- In a small bowl mix the coconut yogurt, dill, and lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large and deep frying pan add enough vegetable oil to create a 1/2 inch layer. Heat it up on medium heat.
- In a wide bowl mix the all-purpose flour and sparkling water until the batter reaches a smooth consistency. In another wide bowl add half of the shredded coconut and spread it out to create an even layer.
- In batches, transfer the green beans into the bowl with the batter. Once coated in batter transfer into the bowl with the coconut. Gently flip the green beans until they’re coated in coconut. Add more coconut to the bowl as needed. Place one green bean into the frying pan to test the heat. The beans should sizzle in the oil, but if the coconut gains too much color and turns brown then lower the heat. After a couple minutes flip the green beans and let them cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer beans to a plate layered with paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Season with salt and a squeeze of lemon and serve immediately with the side of yogurt.