These sweet and savory sweet potato bites are a perfect appetizer for your Thanksgiving dinner. Impress your friends and family with this tasty treat that’s simple to make yet complex in flavor and texture! The crispy outside and tender inside of the sweet potatoes along with the crunch from the pecans create a satisfying bite. Pair them with a glass of warm cider to fully embrace this chilly fall weather.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 cup whole pecans
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme (fresh thyme also works)
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the sweet potato into 1/4 inch rounds and spread them out in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl thoroughly mix the olive oil and cardamom. Using a silicon or pastry brush, coat both sides of each sweet potato slice with the oil mixture. Bake the sweet potatoes for 25-30 minutes, or until they look crispy.
- Spread the pecans out on another baking sheet and toast them in the oven for 5-8 minutes. Be careful the last few minutes, checking in every so often, so they don’t burn.
- In a small bowl, add the maple syrup and mix in the cinnamon and thyme until combined. Roughly chop the toasted pecans and then add to a larger bowl. Mix in the syrup with the pecans until combined.
- Top each sweet potato slice with the pecans and a touch of salt to taste.