I was at a beautiful wedding last week in upstate New York’s scenic Hudson Valley, and went to a small Italian restaurant in the quaint town of New Paltz. A Tavola focused on using locally grown produce in their unique and delicious dishes, not to mention the fresh pasta they used! I ordered this Dinosaur Kale Caesar Salad because we have been knee deep in kale and really wanted to see how this tasted. It was so amazing I couldn’t stop thinking about it whenever I was hungry, so I made it when I returned and have had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner…a few times!
- 1 head dinosaur kale
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or veganaise
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Minced anchovy fillets or 1 TBSP anchovy paste
- Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Combine garlic, mustard, vinegar and two pinches of salt in a blender and mix thoroughly.
- Add mayonnaise and blend together to form a thick base.
- In a slow stream add olive oil through hole in lid.
- Scrape dressing with spatula into a bowl and season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- If desired, add anchovy to dressing to create a deeper, saltier taste.
- Add dressing to the kale and top with Parmesan cheese.