Easy Tart Cherry Pie Filling
Whether you bake your own pie crust or pick it up from the local supermarket, here is an easy recipe for cherry pie filling using tart cherries found at our roadside stands.
(Or pre-order a flat online!)
- 4 cups fresh, tart cherries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Homemade or store-bought pie crust (2)
- 1 large egg white, beaten with a fork (to brush over your top pie crust)
- Granulated sugar (for sprinkling on top of your pie crust)
- Pit and halve the cherries. Add them to a saucepan with the sugar and lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Cook over medium heat for a few minutes until juices are released. Use a slotted spoon to spoon cherries out into a bowl.
- Spoon some of the juice into a separate cup and stir in the cornstarch until smooth. Return this juice mixture to the pot with the remaining juices and cook for a few minutes until thickened.
- Pour the juice mixture over the cherries and set aside while you prepare your pie crust.
- NOTE: After spooning the cherry filling into the unbaked bottom crust, sprinkle a little cinnamon over the filling and add a few small pieces of butter on top.