The season for crisp salads and refreshing appetizers is among us. With the hot, humid weather, no-cook meals and snacks are the way to go. One of the newest additions to our markets is endives, a snappy and attractive leafy vegetable that belongs to the chicory family along with radicchio and frisee and has great nutritional value such as high fiber and potassium. Their taste has a slight and pleasant bitterness that makes it pair well with sweet and creamy flavors like fruit and goat’s cheese. These endive boats carry bright and varying flavors from the red wine vinegar marinated peaches and savory prosciutto. Try this quick and easy recipe for a beautiful, eye-catching appetizer to serve for an outdoor dinner or healthy snack.
- 1 ripe peach (small diced)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or more, if needed)
- 2-3 endives (leaves)
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons half & half
- sliced prosciutto
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (chopped)
- spring onions (thinly sliced)
- In a small bowl, combine diced peaches and red wine vinegar and leave them to marinate for about 15 minutes. Add enough vinegar to cover the peaches.
- Trim the ends of the endives and gently pull away the leaves. Slice scallions and chop almonds and set these aside
- Mix together goat cheese and half & half until smooth.
- Scoop a spoonful of the smooth goat cheese into each endive leaf and top with a piece of prosciutto, a few pieces of marinated peaches, sliced scallions, and chopped almonds. Serve with a bed of arugula or other greens in the middle.