The earthiness of the beets come through by grilling them. This recipe is basically just slicing the beets, tossing in olive oil and throwing them on the grill! It doesn’t get any easier than this! It’s a unique and unexpected addition to any barbecue.
Try this with red beets, golden beets, and chioggia beets!
- 4 medium-sized beets
- Olive oil or canola oil, as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Prepare a medium fire in the grill. A lightly oiled vegetable grill rack is recommended, but optional.
- Scrub the beets well. Cut the tops and roots off the beets. Slice the beets about 1/4 inch thick. Place in a bowl and toss with the oil until all the surfaces are well coated.
- Grill the beets, turning or tossing a few times and brushing with more oil if desired, for 15 to 20 minutes. The beets are done when the slices are lightly charred and flexible. (Taste one to be sure!)
- Remove for the grill and place in a serving bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.