Recipe Courtesy Veggin‘
- 4 medium-sized beets
- Tablespoons olive oil or canola oil, or more as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Prepare a medium fire in the grill. A lightly oiled vegetable grill rack is optional but recommended.
- Scrub the beets well. Cut the tops and roots off the beets. Slice the beets about 1/4 inch thick. Place in a bowl and toss with the oil until all the surfaces are well coated.
- Grill the beets, turning or tossing a few times and brushing with more oil if desired, for 15 to 20 minutes. The beets are done when the slices are lightly charred and flexible. Taste one to be sure.
- Remove for the grill and place in a serving bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- The earthiness of the beets came through by grilling them. This recipe is basically just slicing the beets, tossing in olive oil and throwing on the grill. Can’t get easier than than. And, it’s a unique and unexpected addition to any barbecue.