Happy Labor Day! Here’s a fun, delicious, and snackable recipe for all of us who have been working so hard this whole year to sit back and enjoy this long weekend. Whether you’re BBQing or not, a flavor-packed and fresh summery salad will go with almost anything you’re cooking up. Fitting to the theme, putting this salad together requires very little labor. The only cooking involves is charring the corn on the grill, and once you’ve done that, you can throw together the rest of the ingredients. Add a big bag of tortilla chips and maybe a pool and some good music (like the corn song!), and that’s the start of a Labor Day done right.
- 4 ears fresh corn, husked
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1½ tablespoons mayo, (or vegan mayo)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup crumbled Cotija, or feta cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika or chili powder
- 1 jalapeño, diced*
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Brush the corn with olive oil and grill for 2 minutes per side, or until char marks form. Remove from grill and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayo, garlic, and lime zest and juice.
- Slice the kernels off the corn and add to the bowl along with the scallions.
- Stir to coat, then add the cheese, cilantro, smoked paprika, jalapeño, and salt.
- Season to taste and serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.