By Francesca Patterson
For labor day weekend, add a healthy option to your barbecue cook-out with a sweet and tangy side dish! This recipe takes your everyday green beans up a notch while being super simple to make and satisfying. These string beans cook with sweet hoisin sauce and an aromatic blend of ingredients that will have kids and adults alike coming back for seconds and thirds. Try these out for a great vegetable meal to keep in your back pocket and pair with any entree!
- ½ of 1 shallot (minced)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1″ piece ginger (peeled, minced)
- 3 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- salt & pepper
- Combine your minced shallot, garlic, and ginger and mix in a small bowl, set aside.
- Drizzle neutral oil on a large pan and bring to medium heat. Add your green beans in a flat layer and cook them without moving for about 2-3 minutes. Flip the green beans over and cook again for another 3 minutes. Then, toss until they begin to brown all over.
- Add your garlic/ginger/shallot combination and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and pour in hoisin sauce, season with salt & pepper, then toss to coat.