Homemade Apple Pie
- Homemade 2-crust pie crust (or use a store-bought 2-crust pastry pie crust!)
- 10 peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples (use a combination of your favorites!)
- 4 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP cold butter, cut into small pieces (for best results, put a stick of butter in the freezer for a few hours before cutting!)
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and line your pie plate with your bottom pastry. Place the crust for the top of the pie in the fridge as it will make it easier to slice for a lattice crust.
- Mix together your dry ingredients (spices, salt, flour, and sugar) in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, toss the apples with this spice/flour mix.
- Pour your apple and flour/spice mixture into the prepared pie plate. Sprinkle the butter over the apples.
- Take your top pastry from the fridge and slice it into 3/4 inch-wide strips that are long enough to cover the top of the pie. Create a lattice top by weaving the pieces in and out horizontally and vertically. Use a fork to seal the edges. (TIP: Cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil to prevent the crust from burning before the rest of the pie is cooked.)
- Bake with the foil cover for 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil for the last 10 minutes until the crust is golden. Let cool completely before slicing.