Even though the apples and fall squash are on their way to the stands, I’m not ready to let go of summer just yet. So I made these healthy, light, refreshing, and vibrant summer rolls that I can snack on for the next few days to make my summer last that much longer. Serve them as an appetizer or even on their own, and you can get creative with the filling, adding colors with whichever raw summer veggies you have in your kitchen.
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 10-12 spring roll wrappers
- 12 large shrimp (raw, peeled, deveined)
- 2 cups cooked vermicelli noodles
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 cup of arugula
Miso carrot paste:
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 4 tsp miso
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a large pan and heat up on medium heat. Add the shrimp, making sure each shrimp makes contact with the bottom of the pan. Cook the shrimp on each side for 3 minutes or until pink and opaque. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the miso carrot paste ingredients to a food processor and purée. Add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil if needed to reach a smooth consistency.
- Cook the rice noodles following the package instructions.
- Add the noodles and miso carrot paste to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Cut the cucumber and bell pepper into 2 inch long matchsticks. Slice the cooked shrimp in half lengthwise.
- Place a wrapper into warm water until it’s pliable (15 seconds). Remove the wrapper and add it to a flat surface. Add 2 strips of cucumber and red bell pepper, a few arugula leaves, 2 halves of a shrimp, and a spoonful of the rice noodles centered in the lower half of the wrapper (side that’s closest to you). Fold the bottom of the wrapper over the filling and fold both sides over towards the center so the filling is tightly packed. Then roll the wrapper upwards (away from you) to finish forming the
- Repeat step 6 until all filling is used. Sprinkle on some red pepper flakes and sesame seeds and serve with a side of soy sauce.