Orzo Salad with Summer Vegetables
Feel free to add extra veggies to this salad such as grilled zucchini or sauteed peppers. You can also add grilled chicken, shrimp, or chickpeas for some protein. Diced avocado will add a bit of creaminess to the salad.
- 1 package (16 ounces) orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 & 1/2 cups of fresh corn
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded & chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh mint, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 TBS grated lemon zest
- 1 & 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup of sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped (optional)
- Cook orzo according to package directions for al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 cup water over medium heat. Add fresh corn; cook and stir until crisp/tender, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add cooked corn to orzo; stir in tomatoes, feta cheese, cucumber, onion, mint and, if desired, capers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over orzo mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the sliced almonds. Enjoy!