Memorial Day is this weekend, and summer has (un)officially begun! Here is a simple family-friendly dessert option that is so easy to make, it’ll barely take any time out of your day off to prepare. As a kid, I loved all the summer holiday barbecues with hotdogs and chips, but my favorite part of the day was reaching the table full of desserts. My mom used to throw together this pudding cake as an afterthought when we wanted something sweet after dinner, and it hit the spot with us every single time. Using the fresh, in-season berries we have at the market now, try this no-brainer cake that has all the colors of the American flag to celebrate Memorial Day.
- 1.5 cups of fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick, melted, & cooled)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and butter a baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine your egg, milk, butter, and vanilla until just mixed. In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup of sugar. Pour your flour mixture into the egg and milk mixture and mix until just combined and smooth.
- Pour into a baking dish and gently spread out with a spatula so that it is even. Pour your berries over this and bake for 25-30 mins or until a fork comes out clean.