Yields 8 servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes (includes cooling)
It’s amazing how a splash of citrus and a handful of pistachios can transform a pair of humble brassicas-kale and kohlrabi both belong to that genus-into a bright, fresh, and lively dish. Although this recipe represents the letter k, it could just as easily have been g, for green. Or great.
- 1 1/4 pound kohlrabi, bulbs peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds kale (2 bunches), stems and center ribs discarded
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup salted roasted pistachios, chopped
- Equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer
- Very thinly slice kohlrabi with slicer.
- Whisk together lime zest and juice, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss kohlrabi with dressing.
- Finely chop kale. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sauté garlic until pale golden, about 30 seconds. Add kale by the handful, turning and stirring with tongs and adding more kale as volume in skillet reduces. When all of kale is wilted, sauté with 1/2 teaspoon salt until just tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature. 3Toss kale with kohlrabi and pistachios.