By Francesca Patterson
With Mother’s Day this weekend, a classic brunch recipe is a no-brainer. Mother’s Day is about letting mom know how loved and appreciated she is, and the best start to the day is a beautiful breakfast spread ready for her. A Dutch baby is a puff pancake baked in the oven and topped with your favorites, like berries, chocolate, or apples. Right now, the fresh and sweet Spring strawberries make an ideal pairing. With only a few simple ingredients, this is so easy to whip up and is sure to make a beautiful centerpiece for your breakfast table. Once you’ve got this recipe down, try different toppings as the seasons change!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/8 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3 tbsp of butter (for the pan)
- 1 quart of strawberries (sliced)
- powdered sugar (to dust on top)
- Honey (to drizzle on top)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. With a blender, mix your batter by adding your flour, eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add the 3 tbsp of butter and half of your sliced strawberries to your skillet and place it in the oven until the butter begins to bubble, which takes about 5 minutes.
- Then, pour your batter over the melted butter and strawberries, and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until it has puffed up and the edges are browning.
- When you remove the pancake from the oven the middle will begin to deflate. Spoon the rest of your freshly chopped strawberries into the middle and spread them out with your spoon. Dust with a layer of powdered sugar, drizzle honey all over and serve in slices.