With our locally sourced ground beef and fresh vegetables, you’re ready to make the ultimate game-day meal. A hot, comforting bowl of chili con carne is also a go-to for this cold weather we’ve been having. Try this recipe during the week to have while you watch the snowfall, or grab a bag of tortilla chips to accompany your chili during the entertainment this weekend! Almost all of the ingredients needed for this are on our online store.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (about 1 medium, chopped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup of wine (white or red both work!)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can of beans (I used kidney)
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil on medium-high and begin by sauteeing your onions for about 5-7 minutes or until translucent. Then, add your green peppers and saute for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and all of your spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Next, add your ground beef to this and brown on all sides for about another 3 minutes, add your wine and cook off for a minute or two before pouring in your diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Let this come to a light bubble and then turn down the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, stir in your beans and heat to boiling. Simmer this uncovered for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.