I think many would agree with the statement that tacos are one of everybody’s favorite foods. Why is that? Probably because they are so versatile! Whether you are a meat-lover or a vegan, you can find a taco that meets your exact cravings. When it comes to the filling, there really is no wrong answer. With all this fresh produce right at my fingertips through the market, I thought, why not make a healthful and delicious veggie taco! Using hearty sweet potatoes and curly kale is a perfect combination because their flavors and texture hold up beautifully. Paired with an avocado lime crema and beans, this dish is a fully balanced and flavorful choice for taco nights.
2 sweet potatoes (cubed)
2-3 cups curly kale (chopped)
1/2 yellow onion (diced)
1 tablespoon of paprika powder or red chili powder.
1 can (15 oz) black beans
salt & pepper
taco sized corn or flour tortillas
Ingredients for avocado lime crema:
3 tbsp of sour cream
juice from 1 lime
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, toss your sweet potatoes with paprika, salt & pepper (your preferred amount), and a drizzle of olive oil. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and put in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes or until they appear crispy.
2) While sweet potatoes are cooking, drizzle a layer of olive oil in a large skillet. Begin cooking your diced onions on medium heat until they become fragrant and translucent. Add in your chopped kale and saute these together for about 5-7 minutes or until the kale has wilted. Set aside.
3) Drain your can of black beans. Heat them in a pot or in the microwave until they are warm all the way through. Set aside.
4) To make your avocado lime crema, combine all the ingredients for it in a bowl and mix until everything is smooth.
5) Heat your tortillas using your preferred method (I like to use my stovetop and then cover them with a cloth to keep warm). To assemble your tacos, place a spoonful of roasted sweet potatoes, sauteed kale and onions, and a small spoonful of beans. Drizzle your crema over top, squeeze a little more lime juice, and enjoy!