Right now, choosing what to have for dinner depends on how the temperature makes you feel. Eating for the season takes on a whole new meaning. It is simply too hot to be making and eating certain meals. When shopping around at the market, I noticed how good the small potatoes looked and instantly got a taste for a potato salad. Potato salad is the perfect hot weather meal because you can serve it cold and make it ahead. This version of potato salad is a bit more summery than most because I added freshly picked green beans and sweet cherry tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes burst with a flavor that elevates the bright, acidic taste in this dish. Having blanched green beans with boiled potatoes offers a perfect texture contrast as well. The dressing on this salad is satisfyingly tangy, and it gives you that creamy texture without any mayonnaise. I would recommend trying this salad out for a picnic because it travels very well. It is also really delicious when eaten with barbecue chicken or other marinated entrees.
- 1 lb of potatoes (cooked whole, then quartered)
- 1 lb green beans (ends trimmed)
- 1/2 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely minced)
- 1 splash of soy sauce or coconut aminos
1) Bring a large pot of water and a few dashes of salt to a boil and add your whole potatoes (do not cut them yet, they will be easier to cut once cooked). Reduce the heat to medium so that you maintain a simmer and cook the potatoes for about 18 minutes or until a fork can cut through them. Slice them into quarters and set aside.
2) Whisk together your white wine vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, and dijon mustard until thoroughly combined. Your consistency should be like a salad dressing. Set aside.
3) Fill a small bowl with ice and water as an ice bath. Bring another pot of salted water to a boil and add your trimmed green beans. Cook for 3 minutes and then shock in the ice bath.
4) In a large bowl, gently fold together your red onions, cherry tomatoes, potatoes, and green beans. Pour the dressing evenly over this and add salt & pepper to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.