Tacos are a great go-to meal because almost everything tastes good on a corn tortilla. There are so many amazing ingredient combinations but this taco recipe really creates the perfect bite. This dish has it all: the crunch and sweetness from the kohlrabi, the brightness from the lime, the creaminess from the mayo, and the flakey texture and heat from the spiced fish. And it only takes 10 minutes to make!
Serves 2- makes about 6 tacos
- 6 corn tortillas (can be store bought or homemade following instructions on masa harina packaging)
- small handful of cilantro
- 1 cup chopped kohlrabi, cabbage, or radish (for a combination of all 3, use 1/3 cup of each)
- 2 tbsp of mayonnaise
- juice from 1/2 of a lime
- 275 g tilapia
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional, can use less to control the spiciness)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- If not store-bought, make the corn tortillas ahead of time.
- Mix all the slaw ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat up olive oil on medium high heat on an pan that’s large enough to fit the fish. Mix the spices (sumac, chili powder, and the optional cayenne) with a pinch of salt and then rub about 3/4 of the spice mix on both sides of the fish. Once the oil is hot add the fish to the pan. After 2-3 minutes flip the fish, cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and let it cook for another few minutes. Once the fish has cooked through, take it off the pan and use a fork to break it up into small pieces. Add the remaining spice mix to the flaked fish.
- Finely chop the cilantro. Heat up the tortillasand add the slaw, fish, and cilantro. Plate with lime wedges.