Get outside, take in the sun, and turn on the grill this Labor Day weekend before summer is gone! Grill up these flatbreads with your favorite fresh summer vegetables. Add some sweetness with juicy yellow peaches and some heat with homemade chili oil. They’re great served as bite sized appetizers or as personal pizzas.
The gluten free flatbread dough recipe is a modified version of, recipe creator, Becky Excell’s naan recipe.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp szechuan peppercorn
- 2 cups basil, packed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast or parmesan
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp pine nuts or almonds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250 g of Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 gluten free baking flour (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 200 g plain & unsweetened dairy free coconut yogurt (about 3/4 cups)
- 1 large egg
- 1 roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow peach, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of arugula
- 3 tbsp of chili oil
- 6 tbsp of pesto
Directions (prepare the chili oil and pesto in advance):
- Heat oil in a saucepan until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add remaining ingredients into a different saucepan
- Once the oil is heated, carefully pour it over the ingredients in the other saucepan and let it cool to room temp.
- Add all the pesto ingredients to a food processor and purée. Add one tbsp of water at a time to achieve desired consistency. Reserve 6 tbsp of the pesto for the recipe and the rest can either be frozen or refrigerated.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk to combine the gluten free baking flour, salt, baking powder, and xanthan gum
- In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk the egg. Add the coconut yogurt and mix to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a silicone spatula or a spoon to incorporate. Once the ingredients are combined, use your hands to form the dough into a ball.
- Heat up the grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit on medium heat with the middle burner off (medium off medium)
- Divide the dough in half and form each piece into a ball. Place a sheet of parchment paper down on a flat surface, dust the parchment with some of the flour and use a rolling pin to roll out one ball of dough so it’s 1/4 inch thick. Repeat for the other half of the dough.
- Carefully place the rolled out dough on the grill, so they’re not directly over the heat. Cover and cook with indirect heat. After 10 minutes or once the dough looks about halfway cooked, remove the flatbreads from the grill and add the pesto and the tomato and peach slices. Place back on the grill and cover and cook with indirect heat for another 7-8 minutes. (all grills are different so be careful with the heat and make sure your crust doesn’t burn)
- Top it off with some arugula and chili oil.