People either love okra or they hate it, at least that’s what I’ve gathered from my conversations with Norman’s customers. The most common complaint by far is that the texture is too slimy, but with some research and after consulting a couple of friends I’ve found a simple way to cook okra that results in a delicious, slime-free, texture. After years of avoiding okra, I discovered that it’s actually one of my favorite vegetables, so I urge anyone who once feared the slime to give okra a chance with this recipe.
- 1 quart or 350 g of okra
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp ground thyme
- squeeze of lemon
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic infused olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash off the okra and pat dry with a paper towel
- Once dry, add the okra to a mixing bowl. Drizzle over the olive oil and mix until all the okras are coated. Then add the cumin, garam masala, and thyme. Mix until the okras are coated.
- Spread the okra out in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- Season with a squeeze of lemon, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of garlic infused olive oil.