The best side dish to grill meats is a fresh summer salad. With all the farm’s lettuces and the ripe, in-season fruit, it’s hard to go wrong with a sweet and savory salad combo. Prosciutto and cantaloupe are a match made in heaven, and the flavor profile is heightened with spicy arugula, creamy mozzarella, and the tang of quality balsamic vinegar. This salad is an excellent choice for an outdoor cookout or a super easy side dish with your weeknight dinner. The mozzarella, prosciutto, and balsamic are all available on our online store for preorder alongside your CSA share.
1/2 cantaloupe (cut into cubes or scooped in balls)
1/2 lb of fresh arugula (or other salad greens)
2-3 oz (or more ) prosciutto
1 fresh mozzarella ball (cut into small chunks)
1 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
- For the balsamic reduction, add balsamic vinegar to a pot and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thickened to liking. Use a metal spoon to check the consistency by dipping in to see how it is coated.
- First, lay down a bed of arugula. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper and massage until all is thoroughly coated.
- Arrange cantaloupe and mozzarella evenly on top of the arugula.
- Gently tear pieces of prosciutto and fold over salad.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction over the entire salad. Save some on the side in case anyone wants to add more to their plate. Serve with tongs.